- By Amanda Cushman
2 Tb. Olive oil, divided
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can plum tomatoes, squeezed into pieces in a medium bowl
2 Tb. Tomato paste
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp. Red pepper flakes, optional
8 to 10 meatballs, either pre-made or homemade
1 large jar white beans, rinsed and drained, 400 grams
4 cups greens of your choice such as Swiss chard, spinach, kale, tough stems removed, roughly chopped
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 pound mozzarella, grated or sliced*
1. Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for five minutes. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and season well with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover and lower the heat. Cook until slightly thickened about 20 to 30 minutes. Add red pepper flakes if using. Set aside in a medium bowl and add the white beans.
2. Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add the remaining oil. Saute the meatballs until browned all over about 20 minutes, turning occasionally. Set aside.
3. Heat the oven to 375.
4. Transfer the meatballs to an oblong baking dish or add the tomato sauce mixture right to the skillet with the meatballs. Add the greens and fold in.
5. Sprinkle the top with the Parmesan and mozzarella and bake until the top is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 20 to 25 minutes. Allow the dish to rest about ten to fifteen minutes before serving.
* Chevre or fresh ricotta can be used in place of the mozzarella. Omit the meatballs for a vegetarian version.